Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
You are clearing your garage and have found some old stuff? Please post your Magnette parts you want to sale here and help others to keep their Maggie on the road. Also complete cars and restoration projects are listed here..
  • Page:

TOPIC: Varitone for sale near Watford

Varitone for sale near Watford 4 months 3 weeks ago #1060

• Stephen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
Posting this on behalf of Daniel Betts, who is selling his 1957 ZB Varitone with an interesting history but in need of some restoration work (see photos). Daniel writes:

I bought the car 12 years ago from a friend who did a lot of work on it. He spec’d it for historic rallying and this work included:
Uprated to adjustable Spax shocks all round
MGB gear box fitted with overdrive
Engine blue printed and uprated - runs on unleaded
Bespoke manifold and straight through exhaust
Electrics changed to negative earth
Pipercross airfilter
Braded fuel line
Additional electric fan fitted
Sump guard
Work done since I have owned it include:
New rear leaf springs
New suspension bushes front and rear
Completely rewired by John Shorten
Replaced manifold and fitted stainless steel straight through exhaust from down pipes.
New fuel pump
Replaced starter motor
New radiator
I fitted a tow bar for it but the wiring needs reconnecting as that was not put back after the
rewiring
I have lots of paperwork for the work done over the years.
In terms of spares:
Original Gear box and prop shaft
Chrome from roof gutters and other bits of similar chrome – not sure where they came from
Assortment other stuff that may or may not be usable – I have never needed to dig around in them
Old radiator
Oil cooler and pipes – I was going to fit this but never got round to it
All of the electrics have been returned to standard and everything works, the dials etc, apart from the brake light switch which needs investigating. (I have kept a more modern RPM gauge which my friend had fitted)

The body work needs work - I re-did the sills some years ago as well as some of the floor sections. The previous owner painted it himself with great enthusiasm but not a huge amount of skill. It was originally black – rare I believe for a Varitone – but he wanted the two-tone green that you now see.

The interior is also needs work. The rear seat is in a poor state the front are somewhat better but not brilliant, the headliner has gone and the door cards are tatty.The engine starts and runs fine but it is definitely burning a bit of oil. It drives really well. The brakes work – it pulls a bit to the right on hard braking. The handbrake works. The gear box is smooth. It handles well and sounds glorious.

The car is near Watford, Herfordshire, and Daniel can be contacted via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Varitone for sale near Watford 4 months 3 weeks ago #1061

• Stephen
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
More photos of Daniel's Varitone
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds